Friday, September 12, 2014

Oh What Tangled Webs Content Spinners Weave!



As someone who has bounced from writing site to writing site, I've dealt with some fine communities of people. But I often have left due to poor payouts - pennies per article - or because the site was terribly spammy and it simply would make me look bad to have my content on there. I am a bit proud of my writing and if it's being associated with "spamminess" in the least, I want nothing of that.

Recently, someone quite dear to me joined a new writing site. I won't mention the individual's name or the website in question, but apparently someone who is quite active on the site is parading around acting like she's some incredible speed-writer. She somehow can rack up something like $10 a day by whipping out post after post. Of course, you know how this happens? Spun content.

Now I've seen my share of plagiarism. It's a crime that's been around for centuries. Online, it's become a sort of epidemic. Oh, but it's even worse than that. Spun content is put through some sort of program that jumbles things around just enough that duplication checkers don't red-flag it. 

Apparently, this one lady has the gall to be sweet and sociable and people are thinking she's LEGIT? Oh, look I need 10 more blog posts today. Who do you know who can write TEN posts a day? OK, I could probably do it, but seriously, if you look at the site, it's OBVIOUSLY spun. Some are easier to catch than others. But the "author credit" does it for me.

My dear companion is very torn about it. Apparently this member is one of the top earners on this young site and is so clearly getting away with it. She's apparently already been reported and nothing's been done. 

Should she be called out? I can't see why not. I just know I won't be joining any site where that's happening without any sort of consequence. If it's said that it can't be proved since duplicate checkers won't work, just look at the content. It's clearly not written with the same voice.

Oh, my, that's right I'm a real writer. I guess only we real writers could pick that up. Seriously, dude, if you're going to run a writing site and you see how suspicious that person is "writing" clearly very random content that has author credits on it that link to nothing, um, yeah, red alert? All crew to battle-stations?

I'm just sad that people are just gaming these sites. No wonder they fail. Yet many keep letting the webs be spun, stealing the revenue from people like moi who actually put blood, sweat, and tears into her words.

I'll take that bitch for a spin... She won't like it! But I will!

~ Roxy

Photo credit: Pixabay, Public Domain

No comments:

Post a Comment